Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Welcome to 2012 VEGAN MOFO Day 30 - Rumble In the Jungle

Welcome to MoFo Thirty!
Travel with me...
October 30, 1974
(yeah, I know, a lot of you reading this had yet to draw breath; patience, my Vegan lovelies, patience, please)
Kinshasa, Zaire 
(aka Democratic Republic of the Congo).

The Greatest
Muhammad Ali
This poster actually hangs in my game room.
(on whom I have had a serious heart throbbing 
sweat-your-bangs-out crush since 
Cassius Marcellus Clay, Jr.
(aka Muhammad Ali)
appeared on my TV screen after having won the 
1960 Olympic light heavyweight gold medal in Rome.
Did not know much about boxing back then, 
but I knew I liked that guy, and still do.)
challenged
World heavyweight champion 
George Foreman,
known affectionately around his adopted hometown of 
Houston, TX as "Big George
to defend his title.
(Yes, he of George Foreman grill fame. 
No, I do not own one; though it would probably do a good job grilling eggplant, portabella mushrooms, 
polenta, peppers, pineapples...  
Hmmm... do I hear the makings of a
"Veganize the Foreman grill challenge"?
And, no, this is not a 'hint' 
for those wanting to gift me something.
If you know me well enough to be thinking along those lines, 
the gift of you in my life is precious enough, 
thank you,thank you very much!)

In honor of the anniversary of that historic match,
in which The Greatest prevailed,
(tune in George Benson,
singing the theme from 
THE GREATEST
the original movie, starring the greatest himself,
Muhammad Ali
You Go Brother!)
TV stations have been playing both the original movie,
listed above, and the later version, listed below.
My entree for dinner 
served to these two gentlemen would be my favorite 
fall/winter recipe,
when collard greens are in season locally and oh so good, from
VEGANOMICON
- the ultimate vegan cookbook,
Mole Skillet Pie with Greens
Sauteing greens with vegetables and red beans
Added chili chocolate mole sauce. I try to keep a batch of this very versatile sauce in the freezer for  ready use.
Out of the oven, with the moist cornbread crust
A truly delicious one dish meal!
More familiar with the 
Whitney Houston 
(gone much too soon, RIP dear) 
version of the song, and the 
Will Smith 
version of the 
ALI 
movie story?
Now you know their origins.
You are welcome!
-

No comments:

Post a Comment